Hari Matar Nimona is a thick gravy of green peas with diced potatoes in it.
I learnt this Matar Nimona recipe from my mom. If you haven’t made this still, try at home once and you will fall in love with this matar recipe; this cuisine is something different from the usual. Mom used to make it more in winter season as we get fresh peas then. Still if you don’t get fresh peas, you can try making this hari matar ka nimuna with the frozen ones.
Nimona Recipe is much famous in Uttar Pradesh. It is a winter cuisine the reason being fresh peas’ availability. But I’m so much in love with this dish, I make it at least once in a month 🙂
Here is the recipe for matar nimona, we call it as nimuna.
Wash the green peas or hari matar. Strain the water. Keep the peas in strainer and let the water dry out.
Put the green peas in the grinder jar. Remember, there should be no water. Grind the peas coarsely. Keep it aside.
Now, in a wok, take 1 tbsp oil and heat. Add the coarse paste of green peas and stir fry it for 4-5 minutes on medium to low flame. Once done, take out the green peas in a plate and keep it aside.
In the same wok, heat 4 tbsp refined oil. Add hing and sliced onion and saute till golden colour. Now, add ginger-garlic paste, saute for 20 seconds. Add tomato, haldi, dhania, garam masala, zeera or cumin, lal mirch powders, salt to taste and green chillies. Stir and fry for 2 minutes.
Important Tip: If you are adding badi then don’t add hing.
Now add the diced potatoes, badi or bari and the coarse paste of green peas that we had already fried. Mix well. Add a glass of water. Cover the lid of the wok. Cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes or until the potato cubes become soft. The matar ka nimona will be in thick gravy consistency. If required you can add some more water. Stir in between.
Adding badi or bari is completely optional. But if you have badi at home add it to make a yummy matar nimona.
Once the potatoes are soft, turn off the gas stove. Hari matar ka nimona is ready! Take it out in a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh green coriander and serve it hot with rice or rotis or parathas.
How to Make Matar ka Nimona
- 3 cups Green peas
- 4 tbsp Refined oil
- 1 onion
- 2 tomato
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced or cut into 4 pieces
- 1 pinch Hing (asafoetida)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 badi or bari (optional)
- 1 tsp haldi powder
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 1 tsp lal mirch powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 green chillies
- Chopped Coriander leaves for Garnishing>
- Grind green peas coarsely.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a wok. Add the coarsely ground peas and saute for 4-5 minutes. Adjust the flame.
- Take out the green peas in a plate and keep aside.
- In the same wok, heat 4 tbsp refined oil.
- Add hing and sliced onion and saute onions till golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add tomato, haldi, dhania, garam masala, zeera or cumin and lal mirch powders, salt to taste and green chillies. Stir and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and the coarse paste of green peas.
- Mix well and add a glass of water, again mix.
- Cover the lid and let the curry cook for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- Add water if required, the curry should be thick in consistency.
- Once the potatoes turn soft, switch off the flame.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links for the products that I recommend. If you buy those items through my links I will earn a commission; it will help me in running my food blog well.
— Recipe and Images Shared by Shumayala Khan
6 thoughts on “Hari Matar ka Nimona Recipe| How to Make Nimona”
I love my taste recipe bcos this is d food junction where all tastes r seen from all states & also I can see some unknown receipe I m very much satisfied with my taste.
Thank you Harsha.. I’m glad you liked this recipe.. I regularly pin on my taste. You can subscribe to our email to get the recipe straightaway whenever we post it.
Thanks! Enjoy Cooking!
Sure will try 🙂
Something new to me!!! Sounds delicious 🙂
It is! Try it out.. you’ll love it 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Sure will try 🙂