Arhar Dal is a very commonly cooked lentil at Indian homes, be it lunch or dinner. There are innumerous ways you can cook Arhar dal. But this simple and easy Toor/Tur or Arhar Dal is one of my favourites.
I call it an easy one because you just need to put everything in the pressure cooker and see the magic! This is simple and tasty. You can even have it instead as a pigeon pea or Arhar dal soup.
How to Make Simple Arhar ki Dal
- 1 cup Arhar Dal, soaked for an hour
- 1 big Tomato, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Haldi (Turmeric) Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 glass Water
- 1 tsp Desi (Pure) Ghee
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves, chopped
- Put soaked arhar dal, haldi powder, chopped tomatoes, green chillies, salt and one and half glasses of water in a pressure cooker. Cover the lid.
- Put the cooker on high flame and let it whistle for four-five times. Turn off the flame.
- In a tempering pan, add ghee and chopped garlic. Fry garlic till golden.
- Open the lid of the cooker and temper the dal.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve Arhar Dal hot.
You need to soak arhar dal first. Wash for 3-4 times and then soak in enough water for an hour. Once soaked, remove the water and …. let’s cook!
In a pressure cooker, add the soaked dal, one and half glasses of water, chopped tomatoes, salt, green chillies and turmeric powder. Close the lid of the cooker and put it on gas stove. Turn the stove to high flame and let the cooker whistle 4-5 times.
If you have time, you can cook on low flame for 3 whistles to avoid the water spilling from the cooker.
Turn off the cooker. Let the steam to settle. By the time let’s prepare cloves for tempering. Take a pan to temper the arhar dal, put it on heat, low flame preferably. Add ghee and chopped garlic cloves. Fry the garlic cloves till golden.
Open the lid of the pressure cooker and temper the dal now. Mix.
Garnish with freshly-chopped coriander leaves and we are here with simple arhar ki dal. Have it with rice and achar or dhania chutney and stay happy 🙂 Simple food is the Best one!
Do not forget to share your cooking experiences to me via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. All you have to do is use the #foodeezjunction and share or you can write in the comments section below.
- If there are medium-sized tomatoes at your home, take one and half tomatoes, and if there are small ones, take two.
— Recipe and Images Shared by Sara Khan