Who doesn’t love French Fries? It was that Summery Monday evening when no one would want to go in the kitchen, the reason being soaring temperature in north India. But as usual I was hungry 😀 and since I wanted good food, I thought to make something easy peasy. And what’s better than the homemade french fries, the Indian style! Last I had these french fries were at Mc Donald’s… The fast-food joint, Mc D and french fries sounds familiar, right? The challenge was to make the french fries crispy and yayyy, I did it!
Before heading to the recipe, I would want you to know that I used this cutter to get the potato french fries evenly, just like the way we get it outside. You can also cut the potato fingers with a knife, but trust me, it gets a lot easier if you have this cutter. I will share the review for the same in coming days.
To know the recipe of crispy french fries and how to make it in an easy way… scroll down.
How To Make Crispy French Fries at Home
A step by step recipe guide to cooking french fries the indian style
- 5 medium-sized potatoes
- Cold water
- Refined oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Chat Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chillie Powder
- Oregano (optional, as per requirement)
- Tomato Sauce (as accompaniment)
- Peel the potatoes, rinse and keep them in cold water.
- One by one cut all the potatoes in equal size.
- Leave them in cold water for five minutes.
- Take the potatoes out and rub it on a towel to remove the excess water.
- In hot oil, take some chopped potatoes and fry for 6-8 minutes or just until the potatoes could be easily pricked with a fork. Likewise, fry all the chopped potatoes.
- Now, keep the fried finger fries in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take out the potato fingers and fry them again in batches. The oil must be extremely hot. Do not simmer at any point.
- Sprinkle salt, oregano (optional), red chilli powder and chat masala powder, mix.
- Serve with tomato sauce or red chilli tomato sauce.
Step-by-Step Method for Homemade Crispy French Fries, Indian style
Rinse, peel the potatoes and rinse again. Keep the peeled potatoes in cold water. Cut them one by one. As said earlier, I had used the cutter to get equal sized potato fingers to make restaurant-style crispy french fries. You can chop the potatoes with a knife. Cut all the potatoes in equal size.
Now, keep all the chopped potatoes in cold water for five minutes; in this way, the potatoes won’t darken. Take the potatoes out after five minutes and rub the potato fingers on a towel to remove any excess water.
In a deep wok or kadhai, add refined oil and heat. Fry the potatoes in batches. Fry till they just get soft or could be easily pricked with a fork. Likewise, fry all the chopped potatoes.
Now, keep the fried french fries in the freezer for 10 minutes. We need to fry them again. Frying french fries twice make them crispy from outside and soft as required from inside.
After ten minutes, take out the potato fingers and fry them again in batches. This time, take note that the oil must be extremely hot. Do not simmer at any point. Take out the fries when dark golden and allow the excess oil to drain.
Sprinkle salt, oregano (optional), red chilli powder and chat masala powder over the french fries and mix.
Serve the crispy french fries with tomato sauce or red chilli tomato sauce. Enjoy the evening!
— Recipe shared by Sara Khan
This post may contain affiliate links to help me run your favourite food blog.
Loved the recipe? Share how you made it with #foodeezjunction on Facebook or Instagram or comment below.